Saturday, August 27, 2016

General Life Update: Coming Out, School, Book Buying Ban, Budgeting, and Transition

Hi! You may have noticed (I mean, I doubt it, but I'm kinda hoping some people notice me once and awhile) I hadn't posted anything for about a week and a half (which is semi-abnormal for me) up until my last book haul. I thought I'd give you a bit of an update on what's going on in my life...


Coming Out


So...I came out. That's still a really strange thing to say, but it actually happened! I emailed my guidance counselor a day before school started (which was last last Wednesday, the 17th), and he contacted all my teachers and told them about my name and pronouns. Of course, since they all used Alex instead of my birth name, my classmates quickly realized something was up. Surprisingly, not many people asked questions, though a few did ask me what my pronouns were (I love those people). Almost everybody (that talks to me) has switched my name, which is awesome, but really strange. It's still so surreal. Both my parents know now, and my dad is totally cool with it, but my mom is really upset about me wanting to change my name (understandable from a parent's perspective). Neither of them know that I've come out to everyone at my school. I'm sure that'll come up at some point.

School


School is...happening. I've already got B's in two classes (I'm not good at homework, okay?), which is depressing considering it's only been a week and a half. Luckily, one is only an 87, which I can totally get back up. Unfortunately, the other one is an 83 and also in math, and I'm just not motivated enough to work hard in math...at least it's an honors class, so I won't mess up my GPA, right? I've also got a 90 in English, which I'm determined to keep because of that horror story last year were I got a B in ENGLISH (luckily my exam made my average an A, thank god). And I realize that my idea of a "bad grade" is other people's unachievable goals, but I'm a perfectionist sooo..B's are evil. Like, the look of one B on a report card gives me anxiety.

Book Buying Ban


I've never been one of those people that goes on book buying bans, mostly because I don't buy that many books. Unfortunately, I've purchased about 15 books in the last month, and not only am I out of money, I also barely have any time to read. So I've decided on going on a pretty strict book buying ban.

I'm only going to buy two books for the rest of 2016. What are those books? Well, obviously, they're The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan and Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. I also might buy the collector's edition of A Monster Calls when it comes out, but I may just wait until Christmas. I mean, I've already got two copies of the book. I probably don't need any more.

I'm not sure how long this book buying ban will go, but probably for awhile. I don't plan on doing any more sprees for as long as I can manage it. It might just end up being an only sequels to books I already have kind of thing.

Budgeting and Transition


Why am I try to spend less money? There's a pretty good reason for that. Throughout the last few months, I've made up my decision about transitioning (medically). I need to go on testosterone, I need top surgery, and I might want bottom surgery sometime in the future. To do this, I need money. In a perfect world, my plan is to save $150 a month in order to save $9,000 in the next 5 years, which, from my research, should probably cover the cost of testosterone (for awhile) and top surgery (but this totally depends on the surgeon). 

Because of my severe lack of a job, you might be wondering, You're 15! How the hell do you plan on saving $150 a month? If you're unaware, it's almost impossible to get a job in the US before you're 16 unless it's some job were you get paid in cash, like babysitting or yard work. Fortunately, I live right next to an amusement park which hires anybody without much thought because they need thousands of employees (it's a big amusement park, which I'm sure some of you have heard of, but you know..specific locations..), and they hire anybody 15 or older. Unfortunately, I'd get paid minimum wage, which is $8.10 an hour here (why can't I live in Seattle..), and I've heard the jobs there are pretty awful. But you know what? I need money. I want to transition as soon as possible, and that's impossible without it. Awful job? Meh. Better than having boobs.

Anyway, they start hiring next week, so I guess that'll probably happen. I hope so, at least.




(I usually try to make this interactive, but this was very personal...?) How's school going for you guys? How's life? What's a good book you just read? I don't know talk to me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Alex, congrats for coming out! I'm really happy for you :) Good luck with the job! The sooner you start saving, the sooner you'll have enough. It just takes patience and dedication, which I'm sure you have tons!
    Yesss, The Hammer of Thor and Gemina! Those two are on my most anticipated reads. I can't wait to see what happens in those two!

    ReplyDelete