Sunday, June 26, 2016

I'm Participating in Camp NaNoWriMo (July 2016)!! ( + Info About My Book)


Hello! Most of you have probably heard of the stressful month of writing known as NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). If not, then all you really have to know is that a bunch of people try to write 50,000 words in a month. It's fucking hard, and the one time I tried it in November of 2013, I failed miserably.

But I've grown since that depressing month. And, so, in a decision I will probably regret, I decided to participate in Camp NaNoWriMo, which is the slightly less stressful, summer version of NaNoWriMo.

Many people choose to do something different than a 50,000-word (start of a) novel. But, honestly, I didn't want to do that. I basically want to do NaNoWriMo in July. I want to write a novel with 50,000 words in a month. I want to redeem myself.

So what'll I be writing about? Well, honestly, I don't necessarily have everything planned out. I want the main character to be pretty similar to me, but with some differences. I also wanted to do some unique things regarding diversity that I don't usually see in books. Anyway, here (most of) are the things I know about the book (mostly the main character):
  • It's set in present day Chicago, IL. (I'm actually going to Chicago again in July, so this actually works out pretty well.)
  • The MC's name is Calamity Tako(t or d)a (I'm still deciding between the spellings "Takota" and "Takoda," probably an unimportant detail, but please let me know which one you prefer.) "Cal" Greenwood. Yes, the names are relevant. Very relevant. Please don't question my use of "Calamity" as a name.
  • Cal, though assigned female at birth, is agender (I needed this), or more specifically, agenderflux (like me). They use they/them pronouns, which will probably get complicated since some people don't think those/my pronouns are valid, but I will ignore those people.
  • Adding on to the gender thing, Cal also experiences some amount of dysphoria most of the time. I'm actually really exited to write about a dysphoric character..? I've never seen it portrayed how I have it, so this could be awesome.
  • Cal also has a pretty confusing sexuality. Which, again, is basically my sexuality. They're kind of mostly gay but sometimes not but mostly. (I'm trying to show how complicated human sexuality actually is!)
  • The main character's father is Native American (specifically Lakota at the moment, but I might end up changing it to another Sioux tribe, honestly. It might end up being better for the story), and their mother is white/of European descent. I thought it would be nice to have a mixed race character, which is obviously not a super common thing. Plus, I've always been pretty interested in different Native American cultures, even though I'm not Native American at all. This will probably involve an insane amount of research.
  • Cal is VEGAN. This is something I never even thought to write about. All of my characters have always been vegetarian/vegan by default because I am. This time, though, I'm actually going to mention it.
  • They have a history of depression, anxiety, and panic disorder (this character is basically me sooo), but it's not too much of a problem anymore. Mostly. Kinda. Panic attacks will most likely take place at some point.
This book is actually mostly focused on romance, and Cal struggling with their sexuality. I wanted to do this (a because I haven't written much romance in my life and (b it's something I'm currently struggling with (way more than gender). That's also why Cal is so similar to me.

Also, little side note: Most, if not all, of the people Cal is attracted to are based on actual people. Not a little bit, but basically complete copies of people I actually know. There's a good chance I won't even use a different name. It's not like I'm going to be sharing this in my real life, except for maybe some close friends that already know... 

So you know that part of some books on the page with the copyright stuff that says, "This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, or persons, living or dead, is coincidental."? Yeah...that doesn't really apply here.

Anyway, I'm super pumped to start writing in a few days. I really really want to win this time around, and I really think I'll be able to do it too. If you want to follow my progress, you can check out my account on the Camp NaNoWriMo website. I'll be updating that much more regularly than on here (and even more regularly on my Twitter).

Speaking of updates, I'll be posting weekly updates on here every Wednesday with my progress over the last week, as well as a post on the last day of the month (which is a Sunday if you were wondering) basically saying whether or not I was a fail. So yeah...

Are you going to participate in Camp NaNoWriMo? Have you participated before? What do you think of the whole thing?


PS: There's a possibility I'll post this on Wattpad when it's done if that's something that anyone wants to read...let me know.
PSS: I have no clue how I'm going to balance writing and the Percy Jackson readalong I'm hosting this summer...(info in the side bar)

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if my opinion really matters, but I really like Takota. I like the staccato of it, lol. I wish you the best of luck. I hope you enjoy this experience and achieve your goal. (I would do this, but I can't even come up with names).
    Vivien @ Pages of Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, your book concept sounds AMAZING!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Takota will probably win because that's what most people have voted for. I really like the sound of it too. :)

      Delete
  2. Your novel sounds really exciting! (and something I'd definitely read, so I hope you do upload it to Wattpad when you finish!). I love how much diversity is included, and I'm so grateful to you for trying to include panic attacks. I would have no idea as to how to go about to describe them (the most horrible experiences of my life, yet so important that other people are educated on what it's really like). I'd be really interested in seeing how you include gender dysphoria too, because like you, I've never read about it, and I'd like to learn more! Good luck for July :)

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've had a lot of people tell me that I should put it on Wattpad, so it's probably going to go up there eventually, but maybe not until I do a complete rewrite after my first draft this month. And I'm looking forward to trying to educate people on the kind of things that affect/sort of ruin my life. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi!
    I already love this story!!
    You should definetly put it on wattpad!
    Please update us!!!

    ReplyDelete