Tuesday, May 31, 2016

This Book Is My Life | About A Girl by Sarah McCarry

Title: About A Girl
Series: Metamorphoses (#3) (This is a companion novel, and I did not read the first two books.)
Author: Sarah McCarry
Pages: 260
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Published: July 14th 2015
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.56 stars
Book Rating: 5 stars
Cover Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis: Eighteen-year-old Tally is absolutely sure of everything: her genius, the love of her adoptive family, the loyalty of her best friend, Shane, and her future career as a Nobel prize-winning astronomer. There's no room in her tidy world for heartbreak or uncertainty—or the charismatic, troubled mother who abandoned her soon after she was born.

But when a sudden discovery upends her fiercely ordered world, Tally sets out on an unexpected quest to seek out the reclusive musician who may hold the key to her past—and instead finds Maddy, an enigmatic and beautiful girl who will unlock the door to her future. The deeper she falls in love with Maddy, the more Tally begins to realize that the universe is bigger—and more complicated—than she ever imagined. Can Tally face the truth about her family—and find her way home in time to save herself from its consequences?


Cover:

Rating: 3 stars
Okay, so as a cover, I actually really like it. I love the overlaying plants especially. The rest of the series has the same kind of thing, and I wish that kind of thing was more popular.

The fact that there are two girls kissing on the cover is the reason why I picked up this book, but it doesn't represent the book AT ALL. Does the book include girls kissing? Yes. But would I call in a romance? NO. Also, reading this in public was really weird. If random strangers weren't asking questions, they were at least giving me weird looks. Somebody actually asked me if I was a lesbian. IT WAS SO UNCOMFORTABLE. I spent most of my time reading this book trying to block the cover with my hand.

Activity While Reading:


I was so engrossed in this book I forgot to update my thoughts while I was reading. That's probably a good thing?

FINAL THOUGHTS:
1. I want to read more books with lesbian romances.
2. Everyone (in other reviews) hates Tally..but I basically am Tally. That's bad.
3. That was so fucking diverse. I'm overwhelmed.
4. I can't decide whether I want to read the first two books.

Review:

Plot: When you look at the cover of this book, it looks like nothing more than a romance. IT'S REALLY NOT. It's more about Tally, our main character, discovering the mysteries surrounding her mom. I think these mysteries were explained in the previous two books, which I did not read, but I think that might have made it better? I had no clue what was going on, so it was like I was discovering all of these mysteries with Tally. That was nice actually, and I'm not sure it would have been the same if I'd been more informed.

There was a bit of mythology in this book, and I wasn't expecting that, though I suspect I would have if I'd read the last two novels. The mythology seemed kind of unimportant at first, but then it turned into something very important. That was completely okay with me because I like mythology, but I wasn't expecting it. I wasn't expecting this book to be what it was at all, and that's the only thing that bothered me! That cover is MISLEADING.

Characters: I really liked Tally, and I identified with her. Though, after reading a few other reviews, I feel weird saying that? Tally is incredibly intelligent, and she knows it. This seemed to annoy some other readers, but not me..because that's how I am too. That's bad, isn't it? Damn.

Tally is into astronomy, which is amazing. How many characters do you meet in YA that want to get a degree in a science? It was awesome. There was discussions of astronomy several times throughout this story. That could bore some people, but I found it really interesting, probably because I kind of like astronomy.

The other characters were mostly likable, and, personally, I found them very human-like. That's all I really have to say besides the stuff in the diversity section (below).

Writing: I LOVED the writing. It might have even been the best part. It was descriptive and beautiful, while still being well-paced. And there was just the right amount of cursing: some, but not overwhelming. Also, there are only around 260 pages, but this book feels like it's going on for awhile. Not in a bad way. Most of the time, books this short are choppy and rushed, but this one didn't. It made it seem like a huge, elaborate story in a short period of time.

Romance: There are actually two romances (in a way). I wouldn't call it a love triangle, though. I loved the diversity, and it was great to finally read a book with a lesbian romance. I can't believe it took me that long. Anyway, without spoiling anything, I'll just say that I was satisfied with the ending, and the romance wasn't the most important plot point by far.

World-Building: I'd just like to say that you probably want to know at least a little bit about mythology before starting this book. Like, if you've ever read Percy Jackson or taken a mythology class, you're probably fine, but don't walk in clueless.

Diversity: THIS. This is one of the most diverse books I've ever read. There's the obvious lesbian bits, another gay couple, a trans guy, her aunt is bi, and I think her mom might be bi too? I guess Tally is bi, but not really. She kind of has the same sexually I do with basically being attracted to females. Well, I guess this is mostly just speculation, but she seemed pretty bored with biologically male guys. I don't even know what I'm trying to explain. I'm trying not to be offensive here, okay?

I spent a great deal of this book trying to figure out what race Tally is. I got the impression that she's not white and not black. There was a lot of talk about Native Americans, so maybe she's Native American? I HAVE NO CLUE. But not everyone is white. That's cool?

Reccomended?

YES! Definitely. It's very possible this book was made for me, though, so I doubt that many people will like it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment