Wednesday, May 4, 2016

One of My Favorite Endings to a Series EVER - Half Lost by Sally Green

Title: Half Lost
Series: Half Bad Trilogy (#3)
Author: Sally Green
Pages: 352
Published: 29 March 2016
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.84 stars
My Book Rating: 5 stars
My Cover Rating: 5 stars
First Book Synopsis:
Wanted by no one.
Hunted by everyone.


Sixteen-year-old Nathan lives in a cage: beaten, shackled, trained to kill. In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the world's most terrifying and violent witch, Marcus. Nathan's only hope for survival is to escape his captors, track down Marcus, and receive the three gifts that will bring him into his own magical powers—before it's too late. But how can Nathan find his father when there is no one safe to trust, not even family, not even the girl he loves?


Thoughts While Reading

(CONTAINS SPOILERS!!! I MEAN, MAYBE YOU WON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WITHOUT HAVING READ IT, BUT IT'S NOT MY FAULT IF YOU COUNT THIS AS SPOILERS.)

"'Now all I want to do is kill her.' Thank god. This bitch." (Page 6)
"'He tries to hold me' I SHIP THIS SO HARD OH MY GOD" (Page 10)
"I feel like Nathan is one of those characters you're not really supposed to like, but I just wanna give the guy a hug. HIS LIFE SUCKS SO BAD" (Page 45)
"'Greatorex.' What is this name I don't even know. Pronunciation?" (Page 62)
"I'm really glad these books don't have separate male and female names for witches. It's just witches. I love it." (Page 78)
"The fact that Nathan isn't all lovey dovey with Annalise anymore gives me hope for this series. That gives him time to be with Gabriel! (The obvious choice here.)" (Page 81)
"I'm basically writing fanfiction for this book in my head while reading it and I can't stop. It's so distracting! I wonder what Nathan and Gabriel's ship name is/would be....." (Page 100)
"I find Nathan's cursing hilarious." (Page 131)
"Just Gabriel talking to Nathan without Nathan being an ass and walking away is SO GREAT. I LOVE THIS SCENE." (Page 138)
"PART TWO! I love books with separate parts. Plus this one has a TABLE OF CONTENTS. It's sad that that makes me so happy. This should be a standard people!" (Page 151)
"'I kissed Gabriel here.' I FORGOT OH MY GOD I FORGOT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" (Page 165)
"Everything I wanted to happen in this book is happening and I'm so happy. I assume this won't last for long?" (Page 169)
"Elderly me is basically going to be just like Ledger. Even current me is almost there." (Page 197)
"I love that this amazingly angsty book can sometimes be so amusing." (Page 212)
"OH MY GOD IT'S SO CUTE <3" (Page 220)
"I think this is the first time in this series anyone's actually said the word 'gay.' Considering how gay these books are (not complaining), that was way too long." (Page 245)
"He's not killing all of them! Gabriel must be proud... XD" (Page 272)
"*reminds self that 'jumper' means sweater in the british*" (Page 301)
"SHIT. NATHAN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOP BEING STUPID" (Page 304)
"I got spoiled, so I kind of knew this way going to happen....BUT STILL. AAGHHNOOOOOO" (Page 321)
"What. What. What. No. Stop. What the fuck. I. Was. Not. Prepared. Holy shit." (Page 333)
"I'm crying. It took the whole book, but I'm crying now." (Page 340)

 

Final Thoughts:

1. I'm crying so hard. This book broke me.
2. Oh my god rereading the cute scenes.
3. Holy shit Holy shit Holy shit
4. EASIEST FIVE STARS I WILL EVER GIVE.
5. I understand the cover now. That was so confusing before.

Non-Spoiler Review

This book was amazing. It's honestly my favorite of the series. You know how The Blood of Olympus was a sucky ending to the Heroes of Olympus series? THAT IS NOT THE CASE WITH THIS BOOK. This book make me laugh and cry and fangirl my heart out. It was AMAZING. It was all I could ever ask for and more from this conclusion. It was cute and shocking and heartbreaking. Honestly, if you were iffy on the second book, JUST READ THIS BOOK. If you haven't read any of this series, read it. This conclusion is one of the easiest 5 stars I've ever given.

Writing: The writing for this series was always good. Was it anything special? Not necessarily. But it is easily read and keeps your attention. Sally Green's writing in this trilogy isn't really something I thought about, but for a book so heavily plot-based, that was probably a good thing. It wasn't distracting!

World-Building: Obviously, most of the world-building was done before the last book, but the world-building in that one was actually pretty good! It's always been really easy to understand this world, and while "black and white witches" isn't exactly

Plot: The plot builds up steadily, but it was kind of dwindled out by some other stuff that happened. Though by the end of the book, I'm not sure anyone gives a damn about the actual plot. Well, I didn't.

Characters: This was a good book for Nathan in terms of character development. Gabriel is still by far my favorite character because he's amazing. You get to see a little into the minds of a few other characters as well, but not nearly as much as those two. We see into Ledger (mostly through their thoughts on philosophy), a character Nathan a Gabriel briefly visit in just this book. I actually really loved them. Like they would be me if I was an old person.

Romance: IF I HAD TO PICK AN OTP THIS MIGHT EVEN BE IT.

Spoiler Review

YES THIS DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

Gabriel's death would be the obvious thing to talk about here, but, honestly, I already knew it was going to happen because of some asshole of a reviewer on Goodreads that decided to spoil something major with NO WARNING. I was so angry! Like that's not okay!?!?? What the hell????

Anyway, his death has been getting mixed reactions. Some people are kind of pissed off that "another queer person died? Wtf." Now, don't get me wrong, I realize that that's a huge thing for some reason. Honestly though? I forgot Gabriel was gay. No joke, I really did. I wouldn't have even noticed, but there are quite a few negative reviews. As a queer person here, this is my defense for this book:

This is a war book. People die in war books. Main characters die in war books. If at least one main character doesn't die, I would be disappointed and would probably rate the book down. Why? Because that's unrealistic. PEOPLE DIE IN WARS I'M SORRY. When all your main characters are queer, I expect a queer character to die. Yes, it was awful on Nathan, but guess what? Nathan's life sucks. It always has. People are way too desperate for a happy ending. (Or maybe I'm just a pessimist. It could go either way, really.)

Then...there was the thing that really screwed me up. Annalise has...a son. And...Nathan is the father. I literally paced around for twenty minutes after that reveal. I so wasn't expecting that. I'm still not sure if I'm okay with it?!

Last thing: I didn't cry this entire book. Until the last couple of paragraphs. I was hyperventilating for more than an hour. It was such a good ending. I'm not even going to spoil it in my spoiler section in case there are people purposefully trying to spoil themselves. YES, YOU HAVE TO GO READ THE WHOLE BOOK, DUDE.

 

Recommended?

Always.
 
 
*an extra star for gayness
 
What did you think of this book? Do you want to read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment