Wednesday, April 13, 2016

GLSEN Day of Silence


This Friday, April 15, is this year's Day of Silence. What is the Day of Silence, you may ask? Well, here's what the Day of Silence's website says (because I can't explain anything, obviously):

"The GLSEN Day of Silence is a student-led national event that brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. Students from middle school to college take a vow of silence in an effort to encourage schools and classmates to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior by illustrating the silencing effect of bullying and harassment on LGBT students and those perceived to be LGBT."

If you're unaware, I do count myself as part of the LGBT community, and I have a ton of LGBT friends (we tend to band together a bit). For some strange reason, I've never participated in the Day of Silence. I actually knew what it was before this year, but I always remember/hear about it way too late (like, day after). This year, I WILL BE PARTICIPATING. YAY.

What exactly the Day of Silence is and how exactly it goes differs from person to person. Some people just talk when they have to. Others put duct tape on their faces and refrain from all social media. Basically, there are different levels of severity.

While I most likely won't put duct tape on my face (ow), I will be completely off the internet for all of Friday. How am I going to survive? I don't know, honestly. But it's one day. I'll be disappointed in myself if I really can't do that. But anyway, don't expect me to be anywhere near this blog/Twitter on Friday. :)

In addition, I obviously won't be talking at all in school. Not to friends or teachers or anything. Now, if you don't know much about this event, you may be a little confused as to how exactly I wouldn't get in trouble. Well, I have some supportive teachers, and I told all of them that I would be participate in this event. The principle of my school is also all in on it, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to not get in trouble. I mean, it's a silent protest. It would be unjust to get in trouble for that! Plus, it's not like I'm just taking off school. I'm still doing work just being silent about it. If anything, you should be thankful I'm not giving you any more of a headache.

If you can and want to, I would suggest you guys participate in the Day of Silence. If anything, check out their website and learn more. Even if you're not a member of the LGBT community, YOU CAN STILL PARTICIPATE. Just make sure your friends/teachers/parents know so you don't get pestered to talk or anything. And if they're homophobic and/or transphobic and disagree with you? Do it anyway. (As long as you're safe and stay out of trouble...)

By the way, have those of you outside of the US even heard of the Day of Silence? Have those of you in the US? I feel like I have too many LGBT friends to be a good example. How be is this thing, really?

What do you think of the Day of Silence?

No comments:

Post a Comment