Monday, January 25, 2016

Discussion Question Monday: Blog Design


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! This week's question is: Does blog design matter?

I CHANGED MY BLOG DESIGN.

This is (sadly) the first time I've been entirely happy with my blog design directly after I made it. Usually it takes some getting used to, but this time I liked it immediately. YAY.

Then again...it is quite similar to the one before. Just more purple. And a loss of a side bar. (RIP left side bar.)

I realize that I have quite a different design compared to, um, most other book bloggers. Most people have a design that's mostly white with some other color. Or just colorful in general. Mine is quite a bit darker (especially with this new background), and there's quite a bit of contrast with the off-white and black thing. Honestly, I like it, but I'm wondering how much my blog design affects how many people read my blog.

I don't usually care very much about blog design, at least I think I don't. The only thing that really matters to me is the readability of your content. I mean, if your background is blue and your text is a slightly different shade of blue, THAT IS A PROBLEM. If you have tiny little contract-like words, that is also a problem. I need to be able to read your actual post without being distracted (or bored) by your design.

I think many people look for a clean, non-distracting blog that's easily to look at but also easily to look away from. That's not exactly what I have, but hey, I like it. What can ya do?

But how much focus do people put just on blog design? Can a blog design lose you readers?

I like to think blog designs give you an instant preview of a bloggers personality. The colors of my blog are pretty much what you would see if you saw me in real life. I know I don't talk about this often, but my hair is purple. I tend to wear a lot of black and white, mostly for fear of clashing with my hair. Purple is usually the first thing people notice when they look at me, and I'd like that to be the same with my blog as well. It gives you a glimpse of me before you read anything.

What do you think? How much importance do you put on blog design? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love your new blog design! It's beautiful. Great job!

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete