Monday, January 4, 2016

Discussion Question Monday: 2nd-Person POV


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! Today's question is: Why isn't second-person a more commonly used point-of-view, and should it be?

In pretty much every English class I've ever taken, we tend to skip over 2nd-person whenever we talk about point-of-view. And it annoys the hell out of me.

I actually like reading and writing from second-person. I feel like I'm in the story, like I'm actually part of it. Whereas with first-person and third-person it just feels like someone's telling me the story. It's like I'm personally involved in it...if that makes any sense.

Obviously, second-person is usually only used when directly addressing a reader, and it's not usually used in fiction just because why? Because it throws you into a story. You're no longer reading someone else's story, you're reading your own. You get to be the kickass female protagonist. That's why I like second-person point-of-view.

So I tend to get pissed off when people brush off second-person like it's not important. Like it's not even a valid point-of-view! I've only ever read short stories and parts of books (like Half Bad by Sally Green) that include 2nd-person. Honestly, if someone tells me a book is in second-person I'll probably pick it up not even knowing what it's about. Just it being in second-person has me sold.

Anyway, English teachers, second-person is a valid point-of-view, and the only reason no one uses it is because YOU DON'T TELL THEM THAT IT'S EVEN AN OPTION.

Sorry, English teachers make me a little angry.

Have you ever read a book either partially or entirely in second-person? If so, please please please tell me in the comments as I would love to read it.

What do you think of second-person point-of-view? Do you like reading from it? Do you think it should be used in fiction? Would you write from it?

Thanks for reading! Comment your thoughts on this topic down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment