Monday, January 11, 2016

Dicussion Question Monday: Using Pseudonyms


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! This week's question is: Should bloggers use pseudonyms?

If you haven't figured this out by now, I use a pseudonym. Skye Clover is not my real name. I know, SHOCKER. Did it sound real to you..?

I've always wondered if people were put-off by people using fake names. Would you rather someone use their real name? Why do people use their real names anyway?

I thought I'd give you some reasons why I you a pseudonym, and maybe you can give me some reasons on why you don't?

 

Reasons I use a pseudonym:

 

Anonymity


I like being anonymous. It's nice to be able to make more personal posts and talk about myself without being scared about someone I know seeing it..or at least not knowing it's me. I have problems talking to people in real life, and being able to talk to someone is great.

Safety


People always talk about not telling people who you are on the internet for fear of some creepy guy stalking you...or something like that. I'd just rather people not look me up and find my address somehow. (My real name isn't on the Internet at all really.) That would be creepy.

I just hate my name


This is actually the number one reason believe it or not. I DESPISE my real name. I hate introducing myself because I have to actually acknowledge its existence. Especially because I have the kind of (unique? sorta) name that people tend to comment on. Though it seems no matter how much I tell people I hate it, they continue using my real name. It's fun. *sarcasm*

So...yeah. Maybe I need someone to explain to me why they use their real names on the Internet. Does it feel more personal? Do you want to know what this person looks like as well? Is it harder to be friends with someone when you know you have no idea who the person is or what they look like? Has this topic never even crossed your mind?

Please leave your thoughts on this topic down below!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I completely get you on this issues. There's a funny story to how I chose my own name. But a lot of the reasons I did it are exactly the same reasons you mentioned! For me, this is almost a completely different person of who I normally am, so I suppose it's fitting I change my name, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm sure many people act differently on the internet than they do in real life - I know I do. It's nice to know someone gets me on this issue!

      Delete