Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Favorite Books of 2015

Hello! Happy New Years! For a lot of you it's already 2016, but for me it's not. I still have another 3 hours. *crams in last books of the year*

This was a really hard list to make... It turns out I'm not very good at picking favorite books, and it's possible this wasn't the best reading year I've ever had (by far, actually). I'm hoping 2016 will be better. Though I did just finish my 51st book of the year. No, I did not read 150. I don't know how you crazy people do that. Really, just HOW?

Also, in case you never read my Favorite Books of 2014 post (which I suspect many of you haven't, but you probably also shouldn't because it's pretty terrible), I don't tend to rate books or consider them my favorites of the year just based on the actual book, you know, characters, plot, etc. A lot of it is my personal experience with the story, and where I was in my life when I read it. Books I had great or memorable experiences with are higher on this list than others, my favorite book of the year is mostly based on that.

10. Diary of a Haunting by M. Verano

This book surprised me. Quite a bit. I did a full review here. It started out light, and then ended up keeping me up all night. It's also a super quick read that I read in one sitting. Though if you're going to read it, I suggest you read it closer to Halloween, as it would definitely put you in the right kind of mood for that.


9. Soundless by Richelle Mead

Soundless is pretty much only on here for it's uniqueness. The obvious research was a nice touch, as well as the style of the writing. I've never read any of Richelle Mead's other books (the Vampire Academy series), so I'm not sure how the rest of them are written, but this one really sounds like folklore.

This is the kind of genre and style I'd like to see more in YA, and I applauded Richelle Mead for trying (and don't get me wrong, she did well too), even if this book (mainly the characters) weren't perfect.


8. The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

My favorite part of this book is that I got to experience learning a new mythology then. I got into Percy Jackson so long ago that it almost feels like I've always know Greek mythology like I do now. Also, I may or may not like Magnus just a bit more than Percy, and the fact that there isn't an obvious love-interest right now is nice. I'm sosososo excited for the rest of this series! *fangirling*

7. Half Wild by Sally Green

I'm a little too into this series. Like my heart is so emotionally invested in it. I'm expecting tears in the final book. This is the kind of series that I can go on and on about quite passionately for no apparent reason. I have very strong feelings about all of the characters. Like I want to bash Annalise's head in with a piano, whereas I just kind of love Gabriel to death. Who knows how I became so emotionally invested in this story??


6. The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

Patrick Ness has yet to write a book I don't enjoy! But I still haven't read the Chaos Walking Trilogy. *hides* I love the diversity and the characters and the originality and the writing, it's all so good. Highly highly highly (very highly) recommended! Oh, and this is the UK cover. I don't like the US edition. At some point I'm going to have to get this cover....


5. Proxy by Alex London

This is actually pretty similar to Half Wild, not the story though, just that I ship the gay relationships that I'm not really sure I'm supposed to ship and one of them was left possibly dead in the latest book (that I read, since this series has that second book I haven't read).

I've only read the first line of the second book, and just based on that I don't really wan to read on because I DON'T WANT HIM TO DIE AND I'M SCARED.


4. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

I read this book forever ago (January/Febuary-ish), and I still haven't even bought the second book. I'm terrible, I know.

Do I really have to explain why I like this book? Everyone loves this book. Celeana is badass, obviously, and she also follows my unwritten rule about main female character's names starting with C and having an l in them (I have Clara, Cliena, Cleo, Camille, etc.) That's actually just in the books that I write, but it was still another reason why I loved this book. I have a thing for those types of names....


3. Prince Charming by Sara Celi

The way I obtained this book was pretty awkward. I had just met the author, but I had no idea who she was, and I ended up getting given a copy of this book and her other book, The Undesirables (which wasn't nearly as good as this one). I feel weird when authors explain their own books to me. Especially when I've never heard of them...

I really wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did. I related to the main character (Geoff) a lot. Like he is me. It was a little strange to read a book set in Cincinnati (that's where I live by the way). Specific places and restaurants were mentioned that I'd actually been to. That was weird, but kind of cool at the same time.

This book definitely brought up a lot of subjects around the idea of the hard truth no one want to hear. I enjoyed that.


2. Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

HAVE I TALKED ABOUT THIS BOOK ENOUGH YET?!?!? HAVE I?!?!?!??!??!?

I adored this book. I can't wait the next one, Gemina, that comes out in October 2016. *crying* I can't.

This book has a lot of very subtle references that I didn't mention in my review. Why? BECAUSE I HADN'T NOTICED THEM! There was even a tiny little reference to Bring Me The Horizon. I died when that was pointed out to me. Authors casually making references to bands I like is not a thing I expect in books I read.

And then in the Illuminae tour video there was a Bring Me The Horizon song ("Drown", if you're wondering) in the background. HOW. I've never paid so much attention to an author's music taste before.

Even before the references I loved this book. Everything about it. If you still haven't read it even with all the deserved hype surrounding it you really should.

There's also some other reasons, but those are a little more personal and I'm uncomfortable putting them on the internet.... Just read the book!


1. Paper Towns by John Green

Most of the reason this book is my number one book of the year is because of the experience I had with it. I read it at the right time in my life. Then, I got to see the movie early. I got a signed edition. I met John Green! One of my favorite authors of all time. It was a great experience that I just loved. It's the best thing that happen to me this year. (Even though it happened over several months....)

And I just really like metaphors.


Honorable Mentions (or books I thought about putting on this list kind of)

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Sister Light, Sister Dark by Jane Yolen
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
 
Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Love discovering other people's favourite books! I've read Paper Towns too and quite liked it, and I love Patrick Ness' writing so I must get The Rest Of Us Just Live Here this year. It sounds fab!

    These are my Top Ten Books of 2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rest of Us Just Live Here is AMAZING. Defiantly a must-read. Patrick Ness is one of my favorite authors and I love everything he writes though... Thanks for the comment!

      Delete