Tuesday, November 3, 2015

(NON-SPOILER) Book Review: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Title: Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1)
Authors: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Genre: Science Fiction
Published: October 20th, 2015
Pages: 599
Average Rating: 4.26 stars
My Rating: 5 stars
Cover Rating: 5 stars (ohmigod)
Synopsis: This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.



Appearance:

This cover. Is beautiful. Wow. I would suggest you buy this book just because of the cover... The overall appearance is just amazing. Definitely looking forward to have three.

If there was a problem, it would probably be that the dust jacket is really weird. It's made out of plastic, and it kind of rolls into a ball if you take it off the book. Which is strange and a bit annoying to deal with while reading. But it is transparent/translucent (you can see through it in specific areas), and that's really awesome.

Basically, I could spend an hour just staring at the outside.

Actual Book Part:

Overall, this book was amazing. I thought the files and reports and whatever would make the story hard to follow or confusing (like what happened when I read S. by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst, amazing book, but confusing af), but it didn't. It read smoothly and I was rarely confused (though honestly, I'm always confused...).

This Book is Science Fiction:

I've honestly never liked science fiction that actually had spaceships and artificial intelligence. I think I might pick some more up just because of this book.

So if you've never liked sci-fi either, I think you should check this book out. It might change your mind.

Writing:

It's kind of hard to talk about the writing. There isn't exactly a point-of-view, but sometimes there is.

Of all of the ways this story is told, the files from the AIDAN core are probably my favorite. For those of you that haven't read the book, those are basically the thoughts of the artificial intelligence that controls the Alexander, which is a spaceship. Seeing from the POV of the AI was...the coolest weirdest awesomest thing ever.

The dialogue was amazing. It flowed so well and it was realistic and great. All the characters spoke differently to the point where I think I could tell you which character said what if you just gave me the dialogue.

Characters:

Wow. They characters were amazing, and they were shown through IMs and emails. This entire book impressed me, really.

This has now become one of those few books that actually made me cry. That never happens. I was extremely attached to the characters, to then point where they actually reminded me of people I know.

It seems this is one of  those series that kills off everybody. Like, you have a favorite character? LET ME JUST MAKE THINGS EXPLODE AND KILL PEOPLE. That was annoying. But hey, it made me cry. I can't be that upset.

Plot:

This is one of those books that's really really long, but you can still read in one sitting because there's hardly a dull moment. You're always anticipating something. You're always excited for whatever's about to happen.

Usually, during even my favorite books, I get distracted and go walk around for awhile around every half an hour or so. While that still happened, it was much less frequent. And that still says something.

Anyway, if there was a plot hole, I missed it. Everything that happened made sense. And a lot of stuff happened. There always seems to be some sort of catastrophe in this book. I guess it kept me engaged, though.

The Feels:

This book is a rollercoaster of feelings. I cried and I wanted to throw the book across the room every 30 seconds.

When (and I do mean when) you all read this book, I do suggest you don't read it in public. One, it's a little to heavy for that. And two, you WILL be making some strange facial expressions at least. Don't embarrass yourself.

Last Thoughts:

I don't know how this book would work as an e-book. Or even as a paperback (back to the appearance section). If you can, you should probably get the hardcover.

This book is HIGHLY recommended. Go read it. Right now.

Thanks for reading! Will you be reading Illuminae?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I missed this review back in the beginning of November! This is definitely a book I really want to read. I saw in the bookstore, and when I flipped through it, I was struck speechless at the uniqueness! I'm glad you enjoyed it, I'm going to have to get a copy of it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete