Thursday, October 8, 2015

First Impressions of the Beautifulness That Is Magnus Chase Before I Actually Read This Thing


Hello! So I realized after I looked through this book that I have a lot of, ahem, opinions about the general look and layout of the book.

In no way do you have to have read this book to enjoy this post. Though looking through it a bit might make it make more sense.

Um. ALSO. This is entirely based on the US edition of this book. Not sure how different other editions will be..... So sorry about that.

AND. As of right now, I'm 57 pages through. I probably won't finish it until the weekend because schooooollll (Oooooo spookkyyyyyy).

The Dust Jacket

I kind of like this cover. I'm still not really a fan of people on covers, but it being drawn is better than otherwise. But the tree and the wolf are BEAUTIFUL. I can't deal with how amazing they look. Definitely satisfied with this cover.

EXCEPT. It looks horrible next to The Blood of Olympus. But I want to keep it next to it because I have to have them all together. And if I separate them Magnus will be lonely (What am I saying?!??!?!).

BUT. It looks great with my background. Colors matching and stuff. Very proud of myself!

Under the Dust Jacket

I love the simplicity of the "MC" on the front. I also just realized that that also means main character. Just ignore that.

I like this dark blueish black color. Especially in contrast with the yellow on the inside.... (I'm examining this thing so much.)

Description

Just in case you haven't managed to read this yet:

Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .
  

The "Also by Rick Riordan" Page

I find this page hilarious. There are just so. Many. Books. It takes up the entire page in tiny font, and it still looks squeezed in there. Rick's written to many books, and is probably going to have to expand on to the next page for next year.

The Dedication

To Cassandra Clare
Thanks for letting me share the excellent name Magnus.

Ahhhh.... This was funny too. Maybe not NEARLY as much as the one in The House of Hades, but it came pretty close!

The Table of Contents/Chapter Names

THE CHAPTERS HAVE NAMES. I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!! First of all, I love books with a table of contents. BUT ALSO. THEY HAVE NAMES AGAIN OH MY GODDDDDD.

I missed the chapter names from the Percy Jackson series. I'm so glad they're back.

The Glossary

So there is a glossary. Which is helpful. But no pronunciation guide. Which is going to be a problem.

The "Nine Worlds" Page

I don't know what this means, but I think I'll learn pretty soon. I didn't know there were nine worlds.... (This just goes to show my AMAZING advanced knowledge of Norse Mythology.)

The "Runes" Page

Again, I don't know what this is either, but I think I'm going to be continuously spelling it "ruins" for the time being.

BOOK TWOOOO (I HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE FIRST ONEEEE)

If you are the kind of person that doesn't want to know the title of the next book, skip to the end.

***IM WARNING YOU DON'T BLAME ME FOR THIS***Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book Two: The Hammer of Thor (finally something that makes sense to me, what does this sword have to do with summer? He finds it in winter!) Also not going to count that as a spoiler. Hurrah.***IM WARNING YOU DON'T BLAME ME FOR THIS***

So yeah. I'm not really sure what they point of this post was, BUT HERE YOU GO! If you just haven't noticed these things yet, I'm very disappointed. Your welcome.

And if you HAVEN'T bought The Sword of Summer Yet, I very much suggest you do! If you haven't read the Percy Jackson and The Heroes of Olympus series, I would even more suggest you do that first, as it seems to be playing into this series a bit. It's not mandatory though.

Thanks for reading!

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book One: The Sword of Summer:

Blah blah blah other things....go find it yourself.

1 comment: