Monday, October 26, 2015

Discussion Question Monday: Prices of Books


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! Today's question is: Are books too expensive/do we spend too much on them?

The average hardcover in the US costs about $18-$20 (if you really feel the need to know what this converts to in <insert whatever money whatever thing here>, I suggest you go ask Google). Paperbacks are usually about half that price, though it varies quite a bit.

That's a good chunk of cash. Especially for hardcovers. I mean, 20 bucks doesn't come easily to 14 year-olds okay?

Yet, I often find myself spending hundreds of dollars (not an exaggeration by the way) on books it may or may not take me several years to read.

But there are a lot of people that can't find money, or can't get enough. Especially teenagers. How are you supposed to get kids and teenagers reading if your books are that expensive? (I realize, libraries. BUT. I hate libraries, and I don't want to put poor children through the horribleness that is doggie-eared pages and coffee stains. But sure, libraries.)

So my question is, are books just too expensive? Is twenty dollars actually worth just one book? One that it is entirely possible you won't actually like??

In my opinion, books being so incredibly expensive (on my non-existent salary, that is), probably, in a way, control my crazy book buying habit. At least a little. If I could get beautiful hardcovers for $5 my TBR would just explode, and maybe give up on life.

If you don't do a whole lot of online book shopping, you may not know that books on Amazon or whatever are usually slightly cheaper than the retail price (assuming you either have Amazon Prime or you "spend more than $35 at checkout"). By a few dollars sure, but if you buy books like I do that's actually a pretty huge difference.

There are bargain bookshops both online and in-store, but because I tend to buy books on their release date, that doesn't usually work very well for me. Though I will go in there occasionally 'cause prices.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment