Monday, October 19, 2015

Discussion Question Monday: Genre Bubbles


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! Today's question is: Is it okay for readers to only read one or two genres?

I've noticed lately that a large portion of the books I read are either dystopian or fantasy. I don't tend to read a ton of books sent in the real world. Whether that's contemporary, historical fiction etc., it's just not something I read too much of.

I think a good amount of avid readers like myself tend to stick to a genre we're most comfortable with, and we also tend to have genres we pretty much avoid all together.

For me, this probably historical fiction and sci-fi (as in sci-fi with spaceships, and not dystopian). After I wrote this I realized that I basically just described Doctor Who, which I love, but that's not the point. For many readers this is probably paranormal, because apparently that's just not a thing anymore.

Is this a bad thing for readers to be doing? For us to stick inside of our little genre bubbles? I mean, it's one thing to have a favorite genre, but another thing entirely to avoid another genre. If there's a fantasy book that's getting tons and tons of hype and everyone's raving about how good it is, I'm much more likely to buy that than a historical fiction book with the same kind of response.

The only way I can think to describe this is "genre discrimination". A couple years ago, dystopian was basically everything people read (kind of glad we got out of that). Reading other genres wasn't really a thing. Like, when was the last time you heard everyone raving about a historical fiction book? Obviously, just because I book is historical fiction doesn't mean it's any less fantastic than a dystopian book, but no one really talks about some genres.

I think we, as avid readers, must try to expand out of our genre bubbles, and start looking into genres that aren't normally what we would pick up.

What do you think? Should readers expand out of their genre bubble? Are you going to try to read some books of a genre you wouldn't normally? Leave me a comment down below with your thoughts!

Also, I do plan to be expanding out a bit, and while I think I'll be okay on science fiction, if you have any book recommendations for historical fiction that would be fantastic. Please do leave them down below!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you! I have a tendency to just stick to fantasy or paranormal books. I've been trying to get into other genres, like contemporary, and though I do enjoy them, I just prefer fantasy overall.
    I don't really read historical fiction unless it has some fantasy/steampunk element to it, so I don't think I can offer you any good recommendations :(
    Great post!
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete