Monday, October 5, 2015

Discussion Question Monday: Cussing in YA


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! Today's question is: Should there be cussing in YA books?

I'm not really the kind of person that cusses every second of every day. Or ever, really. I mean, it's something that happens occasionally. This, however, doesn't mean that OTHER teenagers around don't say "bad words".

Yet many parents and authors seem to think that books with teenage main characters shouldn't include the kind of language that a good amount of teenagers use on a regular basis. I get that parents are trying to "protect" their kids from sex and curse words or whatever, but maybe I just don't think certain words need to be censored?

Cussing, honestly, is something that is unavoidable if you've ever been on the Internet/in a school bus/in a city/etc.

Why some people think it's not okay to have cussing in YA books baffles me. At least in my experience, it's a normal part of teenage life (this may vary between states/countries, of course, but still), so in books about teenagers, shouldn't there be words that teenagers use?

This is probably why I tend to gravitate towards John Green's books, because there are a good amount of cuss words in them... I've found that I actually like books that include "bad words". That might be weird. I don't know.

It's obviously different is its some sort of derogatory word (n-words, other f-words, etc.), but if they're not offensive, I don't really care.

Personally, cuss words don't bother me, and I've never entirely understood why they bother other people. I've read books that have implied curse words, but instead of the actual word, there is literally a picture of a miniature butterfly (that's just ridiculous).

What do you think? Should cursing be allowed in YA books? Should there be warnings on books that have cuss words? Do these kinds of words bother you in general?

Thanks for reading!

PS: I'm surprised I made it through this entire thing without cursing once.

1 comment:

  1. I personally don't believe it should be censored or banned, but I also don't find it to be necessary! while it's true teen books should be relatable its also generally accepted that they should contain slightly higher and more proper language than what is commonly used between friends.... have you ever gotten annoyed by a spelling or grammar error in a book? or by slang terms that are WAY overused? I find this to be the same thing with swearing! I am a teen and yes I use those words around friends but generally teens only start using those words because of the amount they have been exposed to them, and there are those who use them every other word just to fill space. Teen books don't need to fill space as they generally (being optimistic here) already have large amounts of great content and they're still relatable without those words. they show that its not necessary to use them and expose teens to a better use of the English (or whichever ) language than what they for the most part are being exposed to in the public and the media...

    ps. if this posts twice i'm sorry, my phone wasn't letting me post it properly

    ReplyDelete