Monday, September 21, 2015

Discussion Question Monday: Limiting Bloggers


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! Today's question is: Do blog names/what someone's blog focuses on limit what bloggers will post/talk about?

Obviously, I run a book blog (hello world). I pretty much only talk about books and book related subjects. I've ventured out of my little bubble maybe.... once or twice since first starting this blog? Not much, anyway.

I think a lot of bloggers feel limited in the name they have set up for themselves. Book blogs never really going into, I don't know, POLITICS for example.

This may surprise you, but I'm actually very political. I'm extremely liberal don't push me. I'm a bit passionate about it.

Occasionally, I see something on the news about *insert racist/homophobic/Christian not doing their freaking job issue here*. Then I think, I should talk about my opinion on this. But then I remember I run a book blog (and I don't want all the conservatives out there to hate me), so I don't.

Then there is the fact that I'm almost positive my taste in music scares people (parents and sane people anyway). I wouldn't at all classify myself as emo (at least in a what I wear kind of way), but the music is my life. Also many of the bands on Wikipedia's list of emo bands/artists.

I've seen this kind of thing happen to a lot of bloggers, and I'm sure this happens to most of us. We've built a name for ourselves on said topic, so we feel as if we can't talk about other topics we're interested in.

The answer to this question is obviously yes. Tons of bloggers refrain from talking about their other interests in fear of losing readers or not getting any new ones. It's incredibly difficult to find people that can talk about politics, My Chemical Romance, and books all at the same time while still being able to help me find a dress for homecoming. It's just not a thing that happens. I'm into too many contrasting things.

It's kind of sad, and I wish bloggers felt more free to talk about whatever they want on their blog, even if they didn't necessarily set up their blog thinking about that thing. Then again, the following you've built up may not exactly be into whatever you start posting about. I don't even know what to think about this!

What do you think? Would you want to post something not related to your blog's normal focus? Would you read a post of someone who did? Please, leave me a comment down below!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. You raised a really good point! Obviously, running a book blog generally entitles posts about books, but I also think that the point of having a blog itself is not that you're just trying to attract readers, but you're also using it as an extension of yourself. It's your blog, and it's your rules! I think posting about stuff not normally related is a great thing, because it allows you to really put yourself out there, and for people to see that you're human!
    Loved this discussion! :)
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete