Monday, August 3, 2015

Discussion Question Monday: Writing In Books

 
Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! Today's question is: Is writing in books okay?

So I have...mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, NO NO NO STOP THAT'S EVIL AND NOW IT'S JUST SUMMER READING YOU DON'T LIKE THAT STOPPPPPPPPP. On the other, I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with it. If it helps you understand the book better, or you happen to be writing witty comments in the margins why should I stop you?

I think mostly it's so close to hurting a book that it's not okay. I mean really, you did just completely diminish the value of a book. You could have sold it for like $2 and now you'll be lucky to get a 25 cents! Basically you wasted money and covered an entire book with ink.

Now it's not like I haven't ever written in a book before, I have, but I usually plan it. I will buy a book for the sole purpose of writing in it. In books I really like, I may highlight my favorite quotes, but other than that no. Sometimes I also will write the date or place I got the book in because it happened to be important. That's usually only with books I know I'll be keeping. (I'm hoping I'm not alone and this isn't incredibly weird.)

The thing is, is that I don't really care if people write in their own books, but I do care if they write in a library book. You just made it a hell of a lot harder to read this book because you scribbled all over it. So yeah, I don't care, just don't write in a book I'm going to read.

What do you think? Should people write in books? Do you write in books? Do you only write in certain books or certain things in books?

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. I don't really write in books... except for all of my classical ones. Practically all of my Greek and Roman mythical books are filled with entire pages of almost unreadable scrawl. I seem to have an obsession that whenever I see a variation of a certain myth, I just copy out other variations in the margins. I guess you could argue that I damage books that way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it would make more sense if you could actually READ the words. Words are very useful if you can't read them.... Now you just have pages of a two-year-olds coloring book! :)

      Delete
  2. Great discussion post! I'm totally for writing in books. If it's a book I'm really enjoying, I always write in the margins what parts I like, or sometimes just witty comments. I also tab my books so I can come back to what I've written, which may be a bit weird!

    Though, I always write in pencil so I can rub it out if I decide I don't like it. I would never write in pen because it might not be neat enough and it would be there forever, which would just be THE WORST (yes I'm a neat freak). Also, I'm worried pen will go through the pages!

    Denise @ Confessions of a Book Addict
    confessions-of-a-book-addict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I don't usually tab my own writings in books, I usually only tab quotes in the books, but I totally see why that would be helpful!

      I actually usually write in pen, but I'm usually careful about what kind of pen I use. Most ball-point tipped pens should be fine :) I honestly just hate pencils in so many ways, and I kind of have a weird obsession with pens... So yeah... Thanks for commenting BTW!

      Delete
  3. Great discussion post! I'm totally for writing in books. If it's a book I'm really enjoying, I always write in the margins what parts I like, or sometimes just witty comments. I also tab my books so I can come back to what I've written, which may be a bit weird!

    Though, I always write in pencil so I can rub it out if I decide I don't like it. I would never write in pen because it might not be neat enough and it would be there forever, which would just be THE WORST (yes I'm a neat freak). Also, I'm worried pen will go through the pages!

    Denise @ Confessions of a Book Addict
    confessions-of-a-book-addict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete