Monday, August 10, 2015

Discussion Question Monday: Summer Reading


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! This week's question is: Should teachers assign summer reading?

I thought this was a pretty appropriate topic considering school starts on the 19th for me and I have yet to finish either of the books I was assigned for summer reading.... I should probably be doing that or something.

So I would make a pros and cons list, but I'm pretty sure there are only cons. Especially from a students perspective. So I'm just going to make a list of cons.

  1. Going outside doesn't happen, too busy starring at book hoping it will read itself.
  2. I'm all freaked out about reading these books that the first day of school is horrible.
  3. Most people seem to hate them, or they're just outdated in general.
  4. No time for fun reading!
  5. It seems to make non-readers hate reading even more.
  6. English teachers wonder why nobody likes their class.
  7. It should be a law that you're not allowed to have tests on the first/second day of school.
  8. The amount of stress is going to ruin summer.
  9. Did we forget what summer is for? It's not for homework and is for sleeping in.
  10. I mean really. What kind of teenagers acts like the teenagers in these books? I'm pretty sure even kids in King Arthur's time weren't this well behaved.
That was a longer list than I was expecting, but whatever. Whoever invented summer reading is stupid and I bet they're the same people that are trying to figure out why kids are so obese these days.... IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY'RE INSIDE ATTEMPTING TO CONQUER YOUR SUMMER READING LIST SO THEY DON'T FAIL YOUR CLASS.

I'd like to point out that I really didn't go outside at all this summer. And I blame teachers and the internet (the best place to procrastinate).

What do you think? Should teachers assign summer reading? Does summer reading ruin summer? Do adults trying to portray 14-year-olds usually fail terribly and cause me to constantly complain?

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. YES I TOTALLY AGREE. You are not alone, I haven't started my summer reading either. I'm waiting until the last minute so the story is fresh in my mind because teachers, especially AP English teachers are notorious for giving pop quizzes on summer reading. It's just so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's good to know! I actually have a planned test on the second day of school, which I'm not at all prepared for. I guess I hope we both survive! Good luck...?

      Delete