Monday, August 31, 2015

Discussion Question Monday: Reading in Public


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! This weeks question is: Should you read in public?

My first answer would probably just be a simple NO. Reading in public is awkward, it sparks conversation (which is never good), and it can be pretty embarrassing if your book gets overly emotional.

Though, honestly, it totally depends on the person. If you can hold back your emotions, then reading in public isn't much of a problem (as long as you look evil enough that no one wants to talk to you). Like I'm not the kind of person that cries whenever a character dies. I'm a robot.... But there are a lot of people that cry constantly while reading, and I would advise those people to NOT read in public.

The only thing that actually causes issues for me is trying not to laugh. Randomly laughing is REALLY awkward, and I'd rather not. So for me at least, non-funny books are the way to go. Even if they are some of the best kinds of books....

Can you read in public? Are you afraid of being awkward, or doing something weird? Have you ever had a bad experience while reading in public? Make sure to leave a comment! Especially if it's something embarrassing!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I actually don't read in very public places because I have my own "place" to read, which feels comfortable. BUT. if a book is really interesting and I have nothing else to do, I'd definitely read in public. Usually, I can hold back my emotions, and if I have to laugh, I can do the whole "silent laughing" thing. If the book is really painful, I suppose I can break into pieces internally, but since I don't have MUCH experience with reading in public, I can't really say! :)

    Ranu @ The Araliya Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people don't read in public at all, but at least in my school they will sometimes force you to have a book and everyone reds at the same time..... Randomly laughing then is really weird XD. And I wouldn't exactly suggest reading in public unless you're REALLY into a book :)

      Delete
  2. I pretty much take a book everywhere in public... I'm not the type of person to show emotion over books. The only problem I have is that it DOES spark conversation. Especially random people just coming up to me and saying "It's nice to see a young person not playing a video game" or "Is that book any good?" I then feel really bad about giving them a really evil look.
    Though, I do often find myself randomly laughing out loud, which does mean I get people looking at me weirdly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really only take a book with me if I think I'll have time to read.... Which isn't too often. I definately have trouble with people asking me what I'm reading or if it's good, and I don't really understand WHY. Obviously, I'm doing something.
      Silent laughing is something that really comes in handy if you can make it look normal. At least you won't be making any noise... You just have to make sure you're paying attention if you're reading something funny.

      Delete