Monday, August 24, 2015

Discussion Question Monday: Lending Out Books


Hello! Welcome to Discussion Question Monday! This week's question is: Should book lovers lend out books?

I know this topic has been done A LOT in the last few years, but I feel like I have a slightly different opinion than a lot of people. So I'm going to do it anyway.

Also, if you didn't notice, I have a new.....picture thingy (my English is great) to go along with my Discussion Question Monday posts! I think I lot this new one a lot better. And I've got to say, PicMonkey is great....

Most book lovers seem to despise lending out their books, but I'm not really one of them. I don't really mind others reading my books, as long as we set some rules, and it also depends on the person.

Here are some reasons to not lend out a book to someone:
  1. The book is special in someway - Signed, childhood memories, first edition, expensive, sentimental, etc.
  2. They have a history of returning books in poor condition.
  3. You don't know how to contact that person if they don't return it.
  4. You have ever once seen them doggie-ear a page, their book or otherwise.
  5. You don't trust them/know them well.
  6. They have a dog (in general) - I can't tell you how many books have bite marks in them.....
If none of these things apply, I'll probably lend out a book to someone.

A lot of book lovers seem to make the library argument, though. They could just go to the library to get the book after all! Well, personally, I'm not really into libraries, and if someone doesn't have the money to buy a book, well I don't want to make them go through that torture.

If someone does really want a book, and that book could easily be replace if something does go wrong (which it won't because you have done a thorough background-check on this person's book borrowing past), then I don't see any problem lending a book to them.

And to be completely honest I like books that have been read over and over again. I like that I can give someone the chance to actually get into reading! As long as long as it looks like love and not murder, it's fine with me.

What do you think? Do you lend out books? Would you lend out a book? Is there a certain book or series you WOULDN'T lend out? How picky are you about the condition they're returned in? Any other opinions about this topic? Make sure to leave a comment! I always like seeing other points of view! :)

Thanks for reading!

PS: I wrote this post mostly just so I remember to bring my copy of Paper Towns to my friend tomorrow..... Great reasoning, I know.

4 comments:

  1. Oh the problems of book obsessors! I never lend out my books to anyone! No way xD I used to and I never got them back! But anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! http://originalbooker.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha XD... I usually get mine back, but I'm pretty careful about who I lend them out to. I have had them get beaten up in the past though....
      Thank you! I'll be sure to make that post asap!

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate! I lent out one of my books to my cousin once, and watch, horrified, as she read it with greasy fingers during dinner. I like my books read by me and me alone, thank you, without vandalization of any sort. I still haven't gotten my book back from her yet, and I'm starting to think maybe she should just keep it, since I'm afraid to know what condition it will be in...
    Great post! :)
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow... That's sounds horrible! No one should eat and read, well at least nothing messy :) Thanks!!

      Delete