Thursday, August 6, 2015

Book Review: Tease by Amanda Maciel


Title: Tease
Author: Amanda Maciel
Pages: 328
Released: April 29th, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Average Rating: 3.75 stars
My Rating: 1 stars
Synopsis: Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault. At least, that's what everyone seems to think. Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. Now Sara is the one who's ostracized, already guilty according to her peers, the community, and the media. In the summer before her senior year, in between meetings with lawyers and a court-recommended therapist, Sara is forced to reflect on the events that brought her to this moment—and ultimately consider her own role in an undeniable tragedy. And she'll have to find a way to move forward, even when it feels like her own life is over.

So if you don't regularly follow my posts, you may not know how much I've been complaining about this book in my BookTubeAThon updates. I complained a lot.

Throughout this entire book, all I could think was Do teenage girls actually act like this? Since when? As a teenage girl with a lot of teenage girl friends, I was a little insulted by how these characters were portrayed. They're all stereotypical teenage girls that are mean to each other and talk behind each others backs, not to mention play insane pranks on each other (that were extremely unrealistic and stupid). At least in my experience, TEENAGE GIRLS DO NOT ACT LIKE THAT. If your friends actually act like this, I suggest you get some new friends, because there are defiantly quite a lot that don't do this.

The thing I really didn't like about this book was that I thought it would be controversial. I thought it would explain something along the lines of People that get bullied aren't necessarily innocent, and it's no ones fault but their own. Which was not even close to the moral of this story. It was more I'm sorry I was mean to you I'll be more careful next time I now know that not everyone is strong crap.

Now I'd like to ask you a question. If someone bullies someone else, but that person doesn't kill themselves, should they still be punished the same way as someone who bullied someone else that killed them selves? What if it was the exact same amount of bullying? What if they did exact the same things?

Because if Emma Putnam hadn't killed herself no one would be suing anybody. But just because she wasn't as strong as other people, means that the people that bullied her get punished more. WHICH IS DUMB. It's not their fault Emma killed herself, or than anyone commits suicide. IT'S EMMA'S FAULT. She hung herself. No one gave her the extension cord, or even told her to kill herself. Just because Emma wasn't strong, doesn't mean this is any different than any other bullying.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but I really wish someone would write a book with that kind of morals. No one does because everyone thinks that's wrong or something.

Let me go back to the teenage girls thing. It amazing me that this is based off a true story. I've never once met a girl that's that mean to someone else. I mean, I've been bullied before, but it was almost always guys. The only bullying I've ever seen girls doing (with my own eyes) is excluding people. Though honestly depending on the situation, I don't know if I would really consider that bullying. Because sometimes that other person is rude or negative or something, so no one wants to hang out with them. That means they need to fix something about themselves, no body wants to have somebody rude in their friend group, okay?

Speaking of friend groups, cliques don't really happen. For me there's lunch friends, and usually I have different friends in each class, but I don't just have, like, 8 friends and then I'm full, and everyone else I hate. There aren't rivalries between groups of friends, and usually people that are this mean to other people don't have any friends.

ALSO. How is it that Sara is a junior and high school and her only friend is Brielle? I mean, who are you partners with in classes, who else do you talk to, and HAVE YOU FAILED AT LIFE?!??! Even the emo kid in the back has other emo friends!! How have you managed to be this far into high school with only one friend? That's not even sad, it's just weird.

This author also has the whole I'm an adult trying to talk like a teenager and it's TOTALLY working! kind of writing. There were quite a lot of texts between people, and I swear this author used abbreviations I've never even seen before. I still have no idea what this means:

"thbbbbbt. yr no fun."

I don't even know what that stands for. And I know nobody that talks like this. I've seen people use "ur" (and it annoys the hell out of me) before...

So I actually just had to use Urban Dictionary (sad, I know), and apparently it means "This House Believes that". I just ummmm. Don't know what that means either. Should I? Because I'm super confused.

Also, the overwhelming use of "gonna" and "wanna" was incredibly painful. I mean, there are certain times when you can use those and not get on my nerves, and this author failed EVERY TIME. Saying it out loud is one thing, but writing it down and causing my eye's pain is another.

So throughout the book, Sara is trying to convince people that it's not her fault that Emma killed herself. And I agreed with her! It's not her fault! Even Carmichael (whom, by the way, Sara does not deserve in any way. Just putting that out there), the least annoying character in this book, didn't side with her. I MEAN HOW IN THE HELL IS IT HER FAULT?!!!??!?!

And then at the end she realizes that she did play a role in it, and that she made a mistake thinking that it was all Emma. That Emma had lots of other issues and her getting mad because Emma made out with her boyfriend was stupid and wasn't justified at all! Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I think everyone else screaming that it was her fault and that she should go to jail finally got into her head.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that by suing these kids, Emma's parents just ruined even more lives. Instead of letting the problem go, they destroyed 4 or 5 other kids lives. For something their daughter did. OKAYYYY?!??!!?!? Oh wait, I just mentioned it didn't I? Whoops.
So yeah, I didn't like this book at all.

One star for not entirely horrible writing and some semi-good characters.

Recommend?

Didn't I just answer this question in, I don't know, MY ENTIRE REVIEW? NOOOO. I don't recommend this book at all. Even if you somehow get it for free somewhere, don't read it. GO BURN IT IN A HOLE. MAKE IT PAY FOR THE WHAT IT HAS DONE!

That may have been a little over board, but seriously go ahead and burn it.

Also, I'd like to point out that I started this review giving this book 3 stars, but the more I though about it the more I thought it deserved way less.

NOW THAT WAS AN ANGRY REVIEW!!! :) I'm hoping I don't review any books like this in the future...?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment