Thursday, July 16, 2015

BOOK REVIEW (Spolier-Free): Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, Lauren Myracle

Title: Let it Snow
Authors: John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle
Pages: 352
Average Rating (Goodreads): 3.90 Stars
My Rating: 3.5 Stars
Synopsis:Sparkling white snowdrifts, beautiful presents wrapped in ribbons, and multicolored lights glittering in the night through the falling snow. A Christmas Eve snowstorm transforms one small town into a romantic haven, the kind you see only in movies. Well, kinda. After all, a cold and wet hike from a stranded train through the middle of nowhere would not normally end with a delicious kiss from a charming stranger. And no one would think that a trip to the Waffle House through four feet of snow would lead to love with an old friend. Or that the way back to true love begins with a painfully early morning shift at Starbucks. Thanks to three of today’s bestselling teen authors—John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle—the magic of the holidays shines on these hilarious and charming interconnected tales of love, romance, and breathtaking kisses.



My Review:

This is...depressing. And sad. I feel horrible for rating any John Green book less than 5 stars, but this had to be done. Let me explain.....

This book has three stories in it that all tie together at the end. Here are my ratings for each individual story:

The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson: 5 STARS
The Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green: 4.5 STARS
The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle: 2 STARS

You see my problem here right? I thought I made it pretty obvious. But lets break this down more, I feel like I'm not doing these other stories justice.

The Jubilee Express:

I was VERY impressed with this first story. It was hilarious, realistic, and the characters were just great. Jubilee (our protagonist) was very entertaining. Same thing with her love interest. I don't know if that's a spoiler or not....

For a short story, this was fantastic. I can't even imagine what her novels are like. I didn't like the characters I wasn't supposed to like, and I liked the characters I was supposed to like, without them being psychotic or something. I will definitely be reading more books by this author at some point.

The Cheertastic Christmas Miracle:

John Green books are always great. They just are. The characters are some of the most entertaining characters I've ever read. John Green is just undeniably great.

The only reason this isn't 5 stars is because I think he's done better. It was a good book, just not quite as great as I expect from John Green. Though it did have it's moments! This could just be because it's a short story, and his greatness just didn't get enough of a chance to shine through the whole book.

The Patron Saint of Pigs:

Ugh. Let me just point out that these stories are romance, and the romance in this story was bad. Just bad. It made no sense whatsoever.

The characters (at least the new ones) were just kind of mehh. I've read some other reviews, and everyone seems to hate Addie (main character). I didn't HATE her. She was kind of annoying and I bit of a crybaby, but still. The love interest was fine. He wasn't really entertaining. Or interesting. Nor did their romance make any sense. It wasn't even cute. It was just weird. And uncomfortable. It seemed like the both of them wanted to love each other, but they both had completely different views of what love is. **SPOILERISHH** And in the end the boy does exactly what the girl wants and they get back together. It was just dumb.

I probably won't read anything else by this author. The only reason I gave her story 2 stars is because she made me laugh a couple times. I think this would have been better if it hadn't been directly after these other fantastic authors, that kind of shadow her in greatness and bring down the likability of her story because theirs is so much better.

BOOK AS A WHOLE:

I didn't hate it. Not at all. I feel like if Lauren Myracle's story just wasn't there (I'm trying really hard to not sound like a horrible person right now) it would have been better.

Maybe she just got the bad part of the story! Maybe they pulled straws and she wasn't very lucky! I don't know! She really just didn't pull off the romance very well, and it ruined that part of the book for me. Other than that, it was great.

Recommend?

You could probably just skip to the last chapter after reading the other two stories. You don't miss much. So yeah, SURE.

So I have a new favorite author, a new not favorite author, and an author that's always been great. Hurrah!

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book - and have never had any inclination to. I'm not a fan of short-stories, especially ones that have been compiled in a book like this. What's important, I think, is that all the short-stories are of a high quality, especially when they tie together at the end . If you have two brilliant stories, and then a rubbish one, I feel as if it lets the whole book down.
    Did you get to see John Green? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not usually into short stories like this, but John Green was a part of it and I will read ANYTHING he publishes. And yes, if Lauren Myracle's story hadn't been the last one it would have been a lot better over all.
      And I did see John Green, though it took about 7 hours of waiting outside to do that. There was also an advanced screening of the movie for the first 250 in line (which I happened to be in) that I was not expecting, but the movie was GREAT even if it didn't exactly follow the book. There's also a surprise cameo and that was exciting, but mostly hilarious (I was in a room full of crazy fangirls).
      Does the movie come out at the same time in the UK? It already came out in a couple other countries and I wasn't sure.

      Delete
    2. It's out over here sometime at the end of August - I really want to see it! I'll have to check out Let It Snow sometime...

      Delete
    3. You should definitely go see it. It's different from the book in a few major ways, but not so much that it really affects the plot. I'm not really sure which one I liked better....
      As for Let it Snow, go ahead. The first to stories are really good and the wrap-up at the end actually DIDN'T ruin the first to stories. So even though I didn't exactly rate it well I guess it's still kind of worth reading. I mean, I didn't HATE it....

      Delete
  2. Great review! I nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger award! :)
    http://just--that--girl.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've actually already been nominated but I'll add your link to my original post <3

      Delete