Sunday, July 19, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Heir (The Selection #4) by Kiera Cass

Title: The Heir (The Selection #4)
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 342
Average Rating: 3.95 Stars
My Rating: 3 Stars
Synopsis: Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.


So because I really want to talk about spoily things, there's going to be a spoiler and a non-spoiler section. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you want you can go to the end and have me wrap up the post, but I really don't care. Knock yourself out.


NON-SPOILER SECTION:

Honestly? This book wasn't really necessary. It didn't add much to the original story, nor to the background information for the world.

Did I mention the world building in the first three books is a little iffy? Yeah, it doesn't get much better.

At least the covers are pretty! :) Good job cover artists....

If you thought America was bad, let me just tell you that Eadlyn isn't much better. Luckily, she's obnoxious in her own special way!

So America was...indecisive. Eadlyn was just kind of mean, but she didn't know she was mean. And honestly it took me a little while to figure out that she was being mean because it was from her point of view and she had NO IDEA. Which honestly made me feel kind of bad for her...

I'm not exactly great at not liking characters. I can pretty much sympathize with anybody. No matter how horrible everyone thinks they are.

So yes. I feel like MOST people will hate Eadlyn possibly more than they hated America.

The only problem that I had with Eadlyn is that she made fun of Kile for being a bookworm. That hurt. That hurt a lot.

So Kiera Cass's writing is very easy to read. I think a lot of people like The Selection series because it's exactly like a reality TV show. It's honestly like your watching and not reading. It's not flowery, or metaphory, nor does it has any of those other words you learn in English class.

It really doesn't have much style at all. It's just kind of bland.

BUT I don't really like that. I like metaphors and flowery writing and English class words. I even like lengthy descriptions of fountain pens (Anne Frank anyone?)!!!

Oh, and then there's the names. It seemed like the author was trying to be a parent trying to be unique when naming their children. Their all just the less common spellings of semi-common names. "Kile" "Ahren" "Osten" "Neena" Not to mention the fact that Eadlyn isn't exactly a name you here every day...

And this would necessarily be a problem, except NOBODY knows how to pronounce them. When the author has to explain how to pronounce a name, you've made it too hard to pronounce. If EVERYONE is confused (rather than a select few), you've done something wrong! It takes a lot away from a story when you have to go look up how to pronounce every name.

So the actually Selected guys were probably the best part of this book, and were most of the reason I didn't rate it lower. As a whole, they were very entertaining. I absolutely love how well the got along and just how great they were in general. I also kind of like that there isn't one that really totally stands out. There are a few that do, but other than that, I'm not entirely sure who will get chosen.

Just as a warning: There is a HUGE cliffhanger at the end of the book. It's like she's begging you to read the next book.

This is the end of the non-spoilery section. Don't blame me for spoiling you!

SPOILERY SECTION:

OKAY! So there are quite a lot of spoil-worthy things to talk about here. Let do that now.

So if your wondering, Kile is my favorite of the Selected. But Eadlyn is totally not worthy of him. She's just not. HE IS TOO GOOD FOR HER. If they end up together I will be very mad.

Also, Henri is adorable, but wouldn't exactly make a great king (or prince consort, whatever). He doesn't even speak English! So I kind of doubt he's going to get chosen.

Hale. I really do think Hale should be chosen. He has an "eye for fashion", Eadlyn likes designing clothes. **SPOILER LOTS 'O SPOILERS**They're are both going to have dead parents (assuming some stuff). And honestly? Hale is sweet and caring and wants to protect her and Eadlyn wants to be protected.

Also, there are SO MANY people to remember. Is Ean the one that said he would marry her without them actually having to be in love? Or something? Or that he wouldn't bother her and would just let her do whatever she wanted? I think so...but I'm not really sure. It's so complicated!

And then there's Erik... I mean sure. He did cute things. I don't know. I feel like it wouldn't exactly work because he's not in the selection. But I guess this family does have a history of breaking rules.

And then there's the biggest spoiler of them all....America. ***BIG SPOILER COMING DON'T BLAME ME*** So heart attack? I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean I feel horrible for Maxon and everything because that was kind of out of the blue.

The cliffhanger was horrible. It wasn't even necessary.... It was horrible. None of the other books had cliffhangers! Also, when you literally put a character in a life or death situation, and then end the book? You are just BEGGING for people to read the next book because this one kind of sucked.

END OF SPOILERY SECTION


Recommend?

Um. Eh... If you liked the other books you may like this one. Though I think a lot of people who DID like the first three books (which I really didn't) thought this one was worse. So you know, do what you want.

I, personally, don't really recommend this series. Even if I have read 4 of the books.

Thanks for reading! What did you think about the first three of the series? Are you planning to read The Heir? Are you going to start this series? If you've read it, what did you think of this 4th novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment