Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Book Recommendations- Guide for Kids, Teens, and Parents

Hey!!! So people have been telling me to make a book recommendations post. This is going to be pretty much going to be just children's and young adult books (because that's the kind of thing I read) so sorry if you were looking for adult books... :( I hope this post is helpful for you to find a book to read or a book to give/read to your kids!!! If you have a particular person you want a recommendation for, just comment and I'll try to help you find the right book for them!

Under 5 (reading to kids):

1. Millions of Cats by Wanda Ga'g- I used to ADORE this book when I was little. Kitties for the win!
2. The Hungry Thing by Jan Slepian and Ann Seidler- This is a book they will continually ask for.
3. I'm a Manatee by John Lithgow- Ah, one of my favorite books to this day. I LOVE IT!

1-2nd grade-

1. Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park- These books ware never ending and will keep them occupied!!! Plus they're adorable for adults too... And me........
2. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner- Again, never ending, I still read them occasionally... Not weird! Love it...
3. My Secret Unicorn by Linda Chapman- Unicorns and friendship, it doesn't get any better!

3-4 grade-

1. The Babysitters Club by Ann M. Martin- A little harder read with more tinnie tiny romances and growing up and responsibility themes. So much love...
2. Ramona and Beezus by Beverly Cleary- I THINK I read this book.... I like the story though. Plus there is a movie you could watch afterwards and discuss differences and opinions.
3. The Golden Phoenix by Marius Barbeau- Fun fairy tales that are very lovable and re-readable!


5-6 grade-

1. Shipwrecked by Gordan Korman- I read this book in 5th grade and really enjoyed it, and it's  good for girls and boys. Discusses important issues you may want to talk about with your kids. Research this book first to make sure you think it's appropriate for your kids.
2. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell- I read this in 6th grade and loved it. It's a true story and is maybe frightening for younger or sensitive kids.
3. Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan- Very obvious. Fantastic, amazing, so so good. Really great for middle schoolers not quite ready for young adult, but leads into it.


7-8 grade-

1. The Selection by Kiera Cass- Gets kids a little more into romance-type books, with politics!!
2. Cinder by Marissa Meyer- More complex plot with lovable characters. Fairy tale retelling!
3. 3 Willows by Ann Brashares- Growing up and self discovery, great for preteen girls.
4. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson- This is for the geeks. It's pretty math-y so it's only cool if you like geometry (which I don't nessessarily, but I love Brandon Sanderson).

9-10 grade-

1. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver- Goes into the dangers and problems they will face in high school in a relatable, perfect teen-like voice.
2. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson- Amazing writing, lovable characters, and a world they will really get into.
3. Staying Strong 365 Days a Year- For a struggling teen girl, or anyone that needs an extra boost of confidence, this one's for you.
4. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini- Goes even more in depth into problems you child or their friends may be facing, but is good for anyone to read. May be a little much for them at this age, though, so you might want to wait a little while longer depending on your child.


11-12 grade-

1. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank- While they may be able to read this book earlier on, your child may appriciate it more being a little older.
2. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi- An extremely memorable book, but is only good for a certain type of person, so you may want to have them read a sampler first before you spend any money!
3. Looking for Alaska by John Green- Amazing, so so good. It talks about a lot of problems teens will face, and the kind of people they will meet. Includes smoking, drinking, and sex, but that may be a good thing. It's up to you!


Thanks so much for reading! I really hope I help you out with finding a book for either you or your child! Comment if you have anymore suggestions for books for any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment